Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Dancing in the Minefields

So I'm new to the world of blogging...but very excited! When I sat down this morning to begin creating this site my mind went back to a song I heard at Fairview at River Club, my home church, a few months ago. Andrew Peterson's "Dancing in the Minefields" was played during our service as part of a series on love and relationships. I could not have heard the song at a better time. 

My boyfriend and I had been talking about getting married and our plans for the future.  We felt like God was calling us to take the next step and there was no doubt in our minds that we wanted to spend the rest of our lives with each other, but uncertainty came when we began to talk about all the logistical changes that would happen in our lives once we said "I do".  This song was a great reminder that if we wait until we feel the "perfect time" to take the next step in an earthly relationship, we might end up waiting for a long time.  The devil can always give us a reason to delay following God's calling.

Some face that challenge not only in earthly relationships, but also in their relationship with Christ.  God wants us to commit our lives to Him and when we do, we might be signing up to go "dancing in the minefields".  He may lead us to do things that scare us, things we never would have done before.  However, we should not delay making that commitment to go all in to follow HIM!  As this song reminds us, as Christians, "We bear the light of the Son of Man, so there's nothing left to fear"..."He promised not to leave us, and his promises are true".

My recent engagement has inspired me not only to go "dancing in the minefields" with my new fiance, Justin, but also to renew my relationship with Christ.  I hope that through my blog, "In the Minefields", I can inspire others to walk with God, to go all in, to recommit...to go dancing in the minefields!  



"...'Cause he promised not to leave us
And his promises are true
So in the face of all this chaos, baby,
I can dance with you..."

1 comment: